Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Transcendence by C.J. Omololu

Transcendence
Transcendence by C.J. Omololu
When a visit to the Tower of London triggers an overwhelmingly real vision of a beheading that occurred centuries before, Cole Ryan fears she is losing her mind. A mysterious boy, Griffon Hall, comes to her aid, but the intensity of their immediate connection seems to open the floodgate of memories even wider.
As their feelings grow, Griffon reveals their common bond as members of the Akhet—an elite group of people who can remember past lives and use their collected wisdom for the good of the world. But not all Akhet are altruistic, and a rogue is after Cole to avenge their shared past. Now in extreme danger, Cole must piece together clues from many lifetimes. What she finds could ruin her chance at a future with Griffon, but risking his love may be the only way to save them both.
Full of danger, romance, and intrigue, Transcendence breathes new life into a perpetually fascinating question: What would you do with another life to live?
Published in US: June 5th 2012
1st in series, the 2nd Fated releases in 2013
Source: Netgalley

My Review:
    To be honest, I was so close to putting this book down. I am not really a fan of prologues and I felt that this one didn't do the story justice. Yes, it is very important to the story, but I feel like it would have been better placed after she meets Griffon.
    That said, once I got into this story, I completely fell in love with it. I love this idea of love through time and once I was able to bond with Cole, I really felt for her. Her love of cello is an awesome addition to the story, and I felt like her love for the instrument is genuine. I also really appreciated the theme of being able to right what you did wrong in the lives before, and the idea that these Akhet work for the greater good and use their knowledge for unselfish purposes.
    The love story in this one is good, and it felt natural to me. I loved how they interacted and they had enough complications to keep everything interesting, especially the twist at the end!
    There was always something going on, keeping me interested. C.J. Omololu kept a good pace though, and there wasn't so much stuff going on that I was confused. I also appreciated how everything, especially the flashbacks which at times seemed a bit random, all wove together and told a great story.
    This story has so many twists, and I would've never imagined what ended up happening. I am so eager to read the next installment so that I can find out what happens next.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I put this one on the TBR not that long ago when I read the synopsis. I have been waiting for reviews on it, and it sounds pretty good, Yay!

    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had trouble getting in to this one too although it was more because Cole sounds like a boy's name to me and I had to keep reminding myself that she's female.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like this is one well worth persevering with. Great review and very honest, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books that have a ton of twists, especially when they surprise me at the end. I'm glad you stuck with it and ended up loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to read this book, I haven't really heard about it till now... I know, it's a shame... :/ But now, I'm putting it on my TBR pile. ;)
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard really mixed opinions about this book, so I think I'll borrow it and see if I like it or not. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)