Thursday, November 11, 2010

Review: Hope in Patience by Beth Fehlbaum

Hope in Patience Hope in Patience by Beth Fehlbaum

Fifteen-year-old Ashley Asher has spent half of her life living in fear. Her stepfather has been sexually abusing her for years, but her mother doesn't believe her. After his latest assault lands her in the emergency room, Child Protective Services finally removes Ashley from her home, and sends her to live with the father she barely remembers and his new family. Her new life in Patience, Texas, is much better. She's in therapy to deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and is trying to make her way in a new high school. She's getting used to living with her father, stepmother, and stepbrother, and she's made new friends in the summer course taught by her stepmother, Bev. She even joins the track team at the urging of her new African American friend, Z. Z. But Ashley is so traumatized by her past that she sometimes scratches herself until she bleeds and sleeps in her armoire, even though she knows she's safe now. Worse, when her stepfather is finally put on trial for hurting her, she learns that truth and justice don't always go together. Will Ashley adjust to a better life? Will she trust enough to date Josh, the cute guy on her track team who likes her? YA readers will be caught up in the heart-pounding story of a damaged girl trying to heal herself and get on with the rest of her life.
Book links to The Book Depository and photo and teaser from Goodreads
Published in US: Oct 2010
Book two in Patience series (though could be stand alone as I have not read the 1st and I was not confused)
Source: Traveling ARC Tours

**My rating: 5/5**

*My review*

   Hope in Patience is a very powerful and emotional story of surviving molestation and abuse. I devoured it and even though it was not an easy read (meaning it deals with sensitive issues) it is one that I would recommend.
   The main character Ashley is portrayed in a very believable light. I appreciate how Beth (the author) did not make her problems magically disappear, but really showed her process to accepting what happened to her, learning how to deal with it and the resulting emotions, and how to heal. This in reality is a very hard road, and the book depicted that.
   This book addresses fear- of the known and unknown, learning how to accept differences, and how to respond to them and to the fear that drives us. There are characters from all walks of life- religious, abused, homosexual, and prejudiced, and they all play roles no matter big or small in Ashley's recovery.
   Hope in Patience is a telling of Ashley's coming of age, so to speak, coming to terms with herself, learning to stand up for herself, to love herself, and to become her own person.


   I would love to hear what you think of my review and/or this book.

Make sure to enter my giveaway for Courage in Patience and see my author interview for Beth HERE

Book trailer:  (Go to full screen mode to view with best results)


4 comments:

  1. This one does sound really intense and one you have to be mentally prepared for. Great review Brandi, it's really great to see some well written book out there dealing with difficult subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have yet to read this book. The title sounded so familiar but I couldn't place my finger on it until I read the summary. I like the new cover a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scratch that fist comment of mine. I see that this is the sequel to Courage In Patience, the one I've yet to read. I had no idea there was another book (obviously lol) Thanks for bringing it to my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I had no idea that this was a sequel. I'm going to have to get myself a copy of both of these books. It sounds like a tough, but truly intense read - definitely adding this to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)